Friday, January 16, 2009

Runner's High

I love the feeling before, or during a run when a rush of adrenaline hits and you feel you're able to climb new heights and run another 20 miles. Sometimes the high doesn't last that long, but I have had times where it literally did last 20 miles. Those miles, I'll never forget, the satisfaction afterwords is deep and personal. Runner highs come and go, sometimes more frequent than others. In recent years, I can't say I've had them as often as I had them in high school; even while running at BYU-Hawaii I didn't have such adrenaline rushes as often. But, recently, I felt a familiar feeling, and some would even call it a familiar physiological voice, saying "Go, just go!" My first runner's high in a long time. It was great! I didn't move with it quite as much as I could've because I had already put in a tough workout earlier that morning and didn't want to over train, but I did move with it for a good 30 minutes or so. As in times past, 6 minute mile pace felt like a jog in the park-synergistic and exhilerating. Not only is this a good sign that my body is responding well to training, but it also shows my heart and mind are in it for the long haul. Last night I registered for the Newport Marathon and bought all our plane tickets out to Oregon. There's no backing out now. It's either do it, or get hurt trying!

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the community! I have never felt a runner's high. The way you describe it makes me want to. I guess I'd have to start running... It's fun to read your blog and see into your brain for a bit. Congrats on the marathon-- what a beautiful place! Is it your first??

    Alyssa

    ReplyDelete