As the day that I leave for Basic Training nears, actually only 2 days away, I've realized that I haven't really adequately explained to everyone why I'm joining the Army. I think my family and, especially my kids, when they are old enough to understand, deserve to know why this decision was made, because it affects everyone. As I've been thinking about how to best explain these reasons, I realized that I've already done it. After I signed my contract with the Army, I also had to interview with the commanding officers, which happened to be based in Portland. This was done via satellite conferencing technology. Prior to this interview it was mandatory for me to submit a one page document explaining why I wanted to be an officer in the Army. There are obvious external reasons and perks to joining the Army, such as money, education, student loan repayment, exceptional retirement plan, bonuses, tight knit communities, one stop shops, and the list goes on and on. But for me, all of those things are only appendages of a core reason, patriotism. Therefore, I will let the one page document which I wrote and submitted to "the board" of commanding officers explain myself:
"The United States of America was founded on a pure and conscientious constitution, inspired to establish peace and freedom from oppressive circumstances. For generations she has lent a strong arm to stand up for civility and decency, equality and respect. The United States Army has stood by her colors since its beginnings, and continues to stand by her now. Soldiers current and previous have stood by her colors, and I choose to stand by her now."
"I seek the rank of Officer in the United States Army because my country and her citizens deserve my service, including my heart, mind and strength. My citizenship in the United States of America has provided me the freedom to worship how I choose, equal opportunity to education and employment, and a nurturing environment in which to raise a family. These rights and freedoms are challenged daily by domineering governments and terrorist groups both foreign and domestic."
"As I have grown to adult maturity, I have seen many who carelessly consume the freedoms that our country provides, yet few who give back. On this day, I choose to give to my country. I choose to give back to the thousands of soldiers of the dust who gave their lives for me, my wife, and my children. I choose to give to America, which so desperately needs smart and level headed military leaders to respond effectively and appropriately when the order comes. I seek the rank of Officer because I have received so much and still have much to give."
I stand by this statement with honor, loyalty and respect for my county and its citizens. I still believe that our Army is in desperate need of quality soldiers with moral integrity and good judgment, perhaps more now than ever, especially when considering the recent Ft. Hood tragedy. Please pray for me while I'm away; but even more, pray for Courtney and the kids, that they will be watched over in my absence. I love you all!
Thursday, November 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



beautifully written! Good luck!
ReplyDelete